Ten in a row, folks, that’s where we are. The last three series, the Sox have been swept in a variety of ball-busting ways. Even the annual bench-clearing dust-up with the Rays wasn’t enough to spark a comeback. And to rub shit in the wound, Josh Beckett threw a no-hitter today.
Just what the hell is it going to take to fix this team? Here’s a few suggestions…
- Let David Ross catch for Lester. Lester has a 2.39 ERA with Ross, a 5:1 strikeout to walk ratio, and opponents are batting .241 against him. With AJ, Lester’s ERA is an even 6, he has a 2.5:1 strikeout to walk ratio, and opponents are batting a lofty .355 against him. Seems like common sense.
- Sit Clay. If he doesn’t have a quality start tomorrow, put him on the 15-day DL. Something ain’t right, and most likely that something is right between his ears. Sit him down, send him a message. He’s nowhere near a bad as he’s been pitching.
- Set a f**king line-up and leave it alone. Shuffling the batting order every other day is not helping. You and I know it shouldn’t matter, but these fragile things we call baseball players need their routines.
- Promote Jonny Gomes to official ass-kicker of the Red Sox. Check out his quotes on Pete Abraham’s Twitter. He’s a walking menace, he’s gasoline looking for a match, and that’s what this team needs.
- Build a time machine, go back a week, and don’t sign Drew.
And just for kicks, throw at one of the Rays Friday night, kick off the series with bang.